Featured post

Yesterdays news is still today's truth!

They only tell us what they want us to know.....An Anti Austerity Demo gathered outside the BBC headquarters in London the other weekend, ...


.

.

.

.
MAKE SENSE OF THE SENSELESS ! / QUESTION THE QUESTIONABLE ! / SHOUT ABOVE THE NOISE !

Sunday 9 September 2007

THE ASSASSINS(OF HOPE)


One band missing from Ian Glaspers excellent The Day The Country Died are THE ASSASSINS OF HOPE. The year 1981 the place London, the music anarcho-punk. This is their only recording and it is rougher than a badgers arse, but great with it. Their musical influences ranged from; The Clash, The Mob through to Theatre Of Hate and Del Shannon, not that you'd know it listening to Slowmotion Suicide. Other influences included the punk scene, the angry brigade, seeing the Anarchy centre at Wapping work and a disillusionment with being on the football terraces. Somewhere along the line they lost their two singers; Peat and Chantal and the Hope. They found a new singer, and another guitarist and became THE ASSASSINS; musically they changed but lyrically and ideologically they remained the same and you could hear more of their influences in their sound The Ruts spring to mind. They recorded one demo and also a planned single Hell is for Heroes, which was never released. Not only were they a great band in both guises but they were top people. I remember going with 'em (when they were the assassins)to a gig in Oldham where they were supporting The Varukers. The band, the equipment and friends all crammed in the back of some box truck with no windows. They when't down like a lead balloon with the mohawks. Then there was the time they supported Mercenary Skank and a punk theatre group, also not forgetting a gig they did with The Stingrays. Anyway enough reminiscing. Here's the music, I've done 'em as two separate downloads: Slowmotion Suicide and Demos/unreleased single. Hopefully this post will plug a hole in the history of the anarcho and underground punk muzik scene of the 80's. Enjoy.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, great tracks on this tape...

Penguin

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love that vocal on Victims Track 5. It don't get much rawer than that. Who is the owner of that voice on track 5?

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Cheers penguin, forgot how good some of em were. think it was chantel, anon

Anonymous said...

Great to hear this one again, Nuzz: I lost my copy years ago...My favourites at the time were 'Spastic Disco', 'Ballad of the Boyne', 'Society's Cynics' and the absolute classic 'Prisoner of Law'...
I put them in my fanzine, and I had a t-shirt of the tape cover which I bought from Ivan (bass)...
I saw them a couple of times at the Centro Iberico in 1982, and loved their wall of noise approach: I remember they had 2 female singers and also Peat (ex-Primal Chaos and Protest zine)...
At one time back in early 1983, there was talk of a split single between Apostles /Living Legends /Assassins / Napalm Death - I wish that had happened!

Nic

PS Good choice on the Hornsey At War post as well - a classic, and very rare too...

Anonymous said...

Cheers for the reply Nuzz. I was the person who posted the comment about the vocal on Track 5. I'm absolutely loving these bootlegs and what not that are being posted. 'Cos I was born in Dec 1978 I kinda missed all this when it went down 'cos I was busy getting growed up and stuff haha! I guess you could say I'm retrospectively getting into Punk....and you're blog really helps in this. Cheers once again.

JamesBond@ge.

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Alright Nic, yeah top band, underlooked. Peat's an old mate, aint seen him for years, been looking for an old Primal Chaos recording I remember having, fucked if I can find it, still got some Protest zines. That would have been some split single.
Cheers James for taking time out to leave comments, never to late to get into the punk thang, it keeps it alive. Have you checked out Running Riot in 2007? (link over to the left and scroll down) MrMagoo has more punk bootlegs there than you could wave a molotov at.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, cheers mate. I've been over to Magoo's blog! I've forked out the £7 to Megaupload for a months premium membership (which is well worth the money to get the stuff he has taken the time and trouble to upload). You just don't see this stuff anywhere else. Type "Assassins Of Hope" into Google and NUZZ comes top in the results.

Thanks once again!!

JamesBond@ge

Leon Hope said...

Leon calling.AOH ex bassist.Cheers Nuzz for keeping our name alive.INFO I'm now in a band called Refuse/All.Mike ex drummer and my bro was in The Assassins and Swine with me nowlives in Hastings.Ivan Oxo ex guitar is now a teacher in Japan.Chantal livesIN Somerset.I dont know where Josie is.Are you still in touch wiyh Peat?

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Leon, great to hear from you, sorry this reply is so late, but I didn't notice the comment until today, good to see yer still playing, aint seen peat for a time, he's a changed man, all suits and ties, last time I saw him.

Pete the Cartoon Warrior said...

Leon

Excellent to see that you are still around. If you see this post email me at peter.knight28@btinternet.com. I have also sent an email to the Refuse/All email address. It would be really great to catch up with you as we were great mates in the old days and I have some really good memories of those carefree days.

Villapaluca said...

HI NUZZ

MY NAME IS GINO I THINK I REPLACED THE 2 FEMALE SINGERS AND PEAT WHEN THE ASSASSINS OF HOPE BECAME THE ASSASSINS, I DID THE GIG WITH THE VARUKERS, THE STINGRAYS & THE METEORS IN STEVENAGE AND HAVE VERY FOND MEMORIES OF HANGING OUT WITH LEON, MIKE & CARL I TRIED TO GET BANDS TOGETHER AFTER THAT BUT GOT LOST IN THE GOTH SCENE AND NEVER REALLY GOT MY SHIT TOGETHER. I STILL LOVE THE SOUNDS OF LATE 70'S PUNK AND STILL PLAY THEM OUT WHEN I DJ, HEY LEON IF YOU ARE STILL WATCHING THIS BLOG I ACTUALLY PUT TOGETHER A COVER VERSION OF SUMMER IN MY HEARET WITH MY PARTNER GABRIELA SINGING. WE NEVER RELEASED IT AS I HAD NO WAY OF GETTING PERMISSION OF YOU GUYS TO USE THE LYRICS. I'D LOVE TO SEND YOU A COPY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. GINO

Anonymous said...

leonhopeassassinHello Gino ,Leon here. Really great to hear from you.I'd really like to hear your version of Summer in my Heart.Its sweet you didnt want to release it without permission.Mike and myself are/ would have been fine with it and Carl aswell, im sure,but i havn't heard from him for years. Here's my email address so we can have a proper chat. leonhopeassassin@googlemail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the post, just stumbled across it this week and promptly played 'Summer In My Heart' on my Brussels radio show L'étranger (Radio Panik 105.4FM) this week.

Leon Hope said...

Leon ( ex A.O.H and Assassins )here saying thanks to L 'etranger of Brussels for playing Summer in my heart on his radio station. If you want to hear the band i'm in now contact www.myspace.com/refuseallllondon
Cheers Leon

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Am just ripping a load of old cassettes including 'Slowmotion Suicide'. Was looking for some info on the band. You saved me having to rip it and plus I got some extra stuff as well.
Cheers, Rut (ex of Suburban Filth -1982 UK band)